Instagram is checking bots and inappropriate content under specific hashtags. When spam or hate content or nudity or violent content appears into the feed with certain leading hashtags then they ban those hashtags temporarily or permanently.
When an Instagrammer is using banned hashtags then his/her posts remain hidden for the rest of the Instagram Community. Here is the list of banned hashtags you should avoid if you want to stay active on Instagram.
How to Check if an Instagram Hashtag is Banned
You are not sure if an Instagram hashtag is working? Before adding any hashtag run a check-search into Instagram search bar. Let’s try the hashtag #adulting and here is what you get:
Did you notice the restriction message?
Recent posts from # adulting are currently hidden because the community has reported some content that may not meet Instagram’s community guidelines. Learn more>>
This is the official Instagram message for all banned hashtags. And yes, you have to check all of your hashtags at least once a month if they are still working or if they put your account under a shadowban.
Have you ever read Instagram’s Community Guidelines about hashtags?
If you press the Learn More in the restriction message, you will discover more useful details about banned hashtags.
Instagram explains why aren’t Top or Recent posts showing up for a particular Instagram hashtag page. Instagram can remove a hashtag from the Top or Recent posts on a hashtag page if people are using the hashtag to post content that goes against their Community Guidelines.
Follow these steps to remove shadowban
We have tried all these steps and we know for sure that they actually work:
- Check your Instagram account every week.
- Check each hashtag before you add it.
- Make sure that your activity doesn’t go against IG Terms of Service.
- NEVER buy Instagram followers.
- NEVER use fake accounts.
- Revoke permissions for any third-party Apps.
- Never share TIKTOK videos directly to Instagram.
- Avoid banned hashtags.
- Also, avoid restricted hashtags.
- Contact Instagram Support if the problem insists.
- Stop spamming other users.
- Stop any activity that includes overselling or over-tagging.
- Don’t act like a Bot.
- Keep your posting routine healthy.
- Avoid getting reported.
- Consider taking a week or even a month’s break from Instagram.
Why are certain posts on Instagram not appearing in Explore and hashtag pages?
Instagram has Community Guidelines that make quite clear what’s allowed in order to keep Instagram an authentic and safe place for inspiration and expression. When they find a post that goes against their Community Guidelines, they remove it from Instagram.
While some posts on Instagram may not go 100% against their Community Guidelines, they might not be appropriate for their global community, and they tend to limit those types of posts from being recommended on Explore and hashtag pages. For example, a sexually suggestive post will still appear in Feed if you follow the account that posts it, but this type of content may not appear for the broader community in Explore and hashtag pages.
Instagram is doing its best to ensure that there is a balance between creativity and safety. They are working to ensure that the content they recommend is both safe and appropriate for all community members. In other words, Instagram is stricter about what content is recommended to people on Explore and hashtag pages.
Keep in mind:
- Not all posts or accounts are eligible to be surfaced in Explore and hashtag pages. They use a variety of signals, for example, if an account has recently gone against Instagram Community Guidelines, to determine which posts and accounts can be recommended to the community.
- If you see a post on a hashtag page or Explore that you think goes against Instagram Community Guidelines, you can report it to them so they can take a closer look. If a post goes against Instagram Community Guidelines, they’ll remove it from Instagram.
Learn more about why certain hashtags aren’t searchable.