In this full-day workshop, Sean Gallagher will help you acquire a fuller understanding of the human body, including the natural laws that govern what we can or cannot change through the work of J. Pilates or other exercises. It is a number of mini-workshops in one.
To gain a better understanding of how to teach the body in front of you, you must first understand the body.
Pilates Workshop Sean Gallagher
Friday 15 November 2019
Understanding And Teaching The Body In Front Of You
By Sean P. Gallagher, BFA, PT, CFP, CPT, MS
When: Friday, 15th November, 10:00-17:00
Where: At Athens Pilates Studio, Adramytiou 31, Nea Smyrni
Participants will receive a certificate of participation and a relevant workshop booklet.
Sean will teach you how to understand imbalances in the skeleton from the “Powerhouse” to the feet, and what modifications are possible. Not all imbalances can be fixed, but you can work with them by adjusting your Pilates practice in a way that still promotes overall symmetry and removes strain.
Most accommodation from imbalances occurs in the feet and hips, therefore placing much of the strain in the knees. By analyzing the anatomy of the lower extremities in relation to the skeleton, Sean explains how proper footwork can set the entire body back into optimal alignment and strengthen it symmetrically without the need for any accommodation that generally increases muscular imbalances.
What Will I Learn In This Pilates Workshop?
Sean Gallagher will share tricks for determining the exact anatomy of your client’s imbalances and what adjustments need to be made accordingly. You’ll attain a new level of appreciation and respect for the Footwork series and understand why we know it as “the foundation of Pilates”.
- You will learn how Genetics and Development are integral to understanding some of the foundations of J. Pilates’ system of body conditioning.
- You will explore the developmental patterns found in the mat and in every apparatus that comes from J.Pilates’ understanding of organic movement. These patterns make his methodology unique in the exercise world, differentiating it from other methods such as bodybuilding.
- You will look at the dynamic spine and how it changes over a functional life span both with and without Pilates. Compensation will also be addressed in relation to the skeleton and posture and Dynatonic™ muscle Balance, scoliosis, and synergy patterns of movement as integrated into J.Pilates’ workouts.
- You will learn how the apparatus as J. Pilates invented them provide a progression from open to closed chain kinetics (basic physics) and everything in between. J.Pilates was using this type of movement before there was a science to give it a name. Then you will learn about dynamic muscle action and cortical and subcortical control.
The last part of this workshop will be looking at the powerhouse into the lower and upper extremities. You will learn to use what you explored in the first part of the workshop to appreciate what changes can or cannot be attained through Contrology.
Common body anomalies of the bones will be discussed, as well as how to modify exercises on the apparatus when such anomalies are present. You will thus be equipped to provide the best balance for each client.
The Pilates Workshop is powered by Sean P. Gallagher and is hosted by Maria Vorrias, at Athens Pilates Studio.
- Learn more about Maria Vorrias here
- Learn more about Sean P. Gallagher here>>
Registrations Will Be Open Until 14th November 2019.
Feel free to contact the workshop’s organizer (Maria Vorrias) for any further information at firstname.lastname@example.org