It’s the announcement you’ve been waiting for… the After Party theme is: The 80s! Mullets, mixtapes and movies from teen films to ET! This was the decade of street art in Berlin and it has a special place in the city’s history. The year 1989 saw the Fall of the Berlin Wall, and the 30-year anniversary takes place this year.
After Party, #WCEU style
It was an important time for both WordPress co-founders, too. Mike Little wrote his first open source code, which created 3D letters on 8-bit computers, and Matt Mullenweg was born in 1984.
Many WordCamp Europe Organisers were born in the 80s also, including Global Lead Milan Ivanovic and Local Lead Bernhard Kau!
What else happened, you ask? A lot, actually. Here are a few moments in history to take you back:
- We first hear the line: “I am your father” in Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Iconic arcade game, PacMan, is created in Japan
- Judas Priest rocks stadiums with Breaking the Law
- The first space shuttle mission takes place! USS Columbia, mission number STS-1
- Neue Deutsche Welle, a music genre of West Germany, becomes popular
- Bernhard Kau, WCEU Local Lead Organiser, is born!
- Germany wins the Grand Prix d’Eurovision with “Ein bisschen Frieden” (A Little Peace)
- Duran Duran hits #3 with Hungry Like a Wolf
- E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial debuts on the big screen
- First mobile phones introduced to the public by Motorola
- The term ‘computer virus’ is first used
- The Scorpions write and record Rock You Like a Hurricane for release the next year
- Leg warmers and ripped sweatshirts become fashionable á la Flashdance
- Matt Mullenweg, WordPress co-founder, is born!
- First-ever untethered spacewalk
- The CD becomes the major medium for music
- Michael J. Fox takes us Back to the Future in a DeLorean
- Boris Becker is the first male German winner of Wimbledon
- Milan Ivanović, WCEU Global Lead Organiser, is born!
- Final Countdown by Europe reaches #1 in 25 countries
- Pretty in Pink joins iconic teen films during the genre’s ‘golden age’
- A-ha’s Take on Me wins big at the MTV Video Music Awards
- Bruno Ganz, half way through his fifty year career in German language films, stars in Der Himmel über Berlin (Wings of Desire)
- U2 named Rock’s Hottest Ticket by TIME magazine
- Ronald Reagan visits Berlin and delivers his “Tear down this wall!” speech in front of the Brandenburg Gate
- The UEFA European Football Championship final is held in West Germany
- Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar on Me propels Hysteria album to top of Billboard chart
- Steffi Graf is the first female German winner of Wimbledon
- Depeche Mode records Personal Jesus, one of the band’s longest-charting songs in Germany
- Steffi Graf and Boris Becker both win Wimbledon!
- Fall of the Berlin Wall
Get into the groove
Embrace this year’s After Party theme by bringing the 80s vibe to your hairstyle, outfit and accessories.
- Rock on with leather jackets and high-waisted jeans
- Sharpen up with shoulder pads and blazers
- Be bright and bold in lycra and leg warmers
- Work those shell suits, bomber jackets and windbreakers
- Make a statement with Farrah feathered hair, perms or mullets… better known in Germany as Vokuhila, short for “Vorne kurz, hinten lang,” meaning short on top, long at the back!
- Deiters Berlin
10178 Berlin (Mitte near Alexanderplatz)
Oranienburger Straße 86 a
10178 Berlin (Mitte)
Blücherstraße 37 A
10961 Berlin (Kreuzberg)
- Bonnie & Kleid
10961 Berlin (Kreuzberg)
- Garments Vintage
Stargarder Straße 12a
10437 Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg)
- Pick n Weight Vintage Store
Alte Schönhauser Straße 30
10119 Berlin (Mitte)
Recap of the details
Saturday 22 June 2019
The Estrel, the same venue as the conference, at Sonnenallee 225. Exact location is visible in the Venue Map we provide during registration.
FOOD & DRINKS
Food and drinks vouchers are provided thanks to our generous sponsors. A bar will be available to purchase more drinks. The closest ATM is in the Estrel lobby. More details and menus will be shared before the event.
WHAT TO BRING
Your badge is required. No RSVP needed. Dancing shoes optional.
The After Party will be loud, but there are quiet spaces to sit just outside the main area.
Entertainment will be coming your way. Let’s just say it will be “legendary”.
Before the After Party
Our schedule includes an Open Networking slot immediately after Closing Remarks at 17:30 on Saturday. You are welcome to stay in the Estrel to relax, meet and chat with other attendees before the After Party kicks off at 19:00.
Open Networking is a totally unstructured way to make new friends, develop existing relationships, find business partners, mentors, clients and collaborators! Anyone can join in.
There’s a designated time, but no designated space. You can move around freely in the Estrel or arrange to meet others in a particular spot.
TIPS FOR NETWORKING
- Smile! Be friendly and follow our Code of Conduct.
- Encourage new people to join you. When talking in groups, form a semi-circle to keep spaces open for newcomers.
- Talking business? Exchange business cards or contact details to follow up later.
Make the most of WCEU by getting to know other people in the WordPress ecosystem during Open Networking… but save a little time to add some 80s vibes to your outfit for the After Party!